Georgia Girl

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Me, myself, and Isaiah

I am a direct person. Very direct. If you have something dangling from your nose, I'm not gonna do the whole covert wipe-my-nose-hoping-you'll-get-the-picture-deal. I'm gonna say, "you have something dangling from your nose." Because it's not a big deal to just say what it is. And I don't pay enough attention to body language to figure out subliminal messages. That's why, along with a few other reasons, I chose not to major in comparative literature (there was never a question that I would do anything INSANE like that...I'm just trying some dry humor on for size).

Another thing about me, which I'm guessing most people who are reading this already know, is that I am pretty un-ambitious when it comes to the career subject. I've always thought of this as a fault. Like something was totally wrong with me. Because almost everyone else around me is career driven. Not me. I'm in it for the beer. Ok, well, really I'm in it for only God knows why. Anyway, I had a revelation earlier--I'm not so sure that something is wrong with me being wishy-washy about what I want to do job-wise. A job will never define me, I've realized. I'm too ambitious for that to be the case.

In times of distress, people tend to throw themselves into something that distracts them from what is really bugging them. For most folks, that something seems to be work. If you stay busy all day at work, you "don't have time" to worry about the bigger picture. But what happens if that's what a persons whole life is--throwing themselves into work so he/she doesn't worry about the big picture. What if, come retirement age, you realize you've been avoiding living your life, but rather, have just been workin it (and not in the sexy way).

I'm obviously not saying that we should all join in a mass exodus from work. Some people really do get a sense of satisfaction from their work while others have to pay bills. I'm just advocating that we don't pigeon hole our lives into the narrow time frame of 8-5. I want to be a mom one day, and I want to be a wife. But those are not going to be the only two things I want to be. They won't define who I am. They will simply be roles I perform.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home