Georgia Girl

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Gobi, Everest, Costa Rica...oh my!

Once again this post will slightly revolve around Boss. You feel special, don'tchya little buddy? Anyway, he keeps talkin bout wanting to have more adventures. We had some nice conversations when he was here and concluded that life is all about experiences, not the nitty gritty day to day bullshit. And then I got an email from an awesome chick I know who just nailed it right on the head, so I wanted to share how she put it (she's talkin bout her 4 months on the AT):

Every Spring and Fall when the weather starts to turn and you can feel it in the air, this feeling comes over me. It's hard to describe, but its something akin to the feeling I get when I hear the phrase "Go West young man!" It's like something is calling my name and I can't quite figure out what it is or what its saying, but its damn destracting. And then I realize...its the woods...its freedom from things that really don't matter...its focusing on what you're going to eat, where you're going to sleep, whether or not it will rain, and putting one foot in front of the other...its getting creative about solving problems (as in 25 people learning to sleep crammed into a shelter meant for 8 in order to avoid the blinding snow storm so that everyone has to flip over and the same time in order to have enough room)...its facing non-negotiable circumstances that cannot be avoided or manipulated-no excuses, just deal with it...its finding the silver lining in a month of solid rain because the bugs don't come out as much...its rejoicing at the sight of all you can eat buffets that wouldn't have even crossed my mind before. It's a lot of things and I get teary eyed writing this. All I can say is its by far the best and most fulfilling experience I have ever had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home