Georgia Girl

Monday, January 15, 2007

Project Escapade takes a domestic turn

I don't remember if I've mentioned Project Escapade. Initially, the plan was for me and Josh to head to Ghana to volunteer at a hospital for a couple of weeks and then take a little tour around Africa. Expensive idea, huh? And the possibility of being taken hostage and/or being inducted into some guerilla organization, being trained on a bazooka, and having to partake in hand-to-hand combat is pretty high.

So Project Escapade has developed into something a little more local. We've decided to hike about 1/2 of the Appalachian Trail. We're gonna start in Maine and make it to the Shanendoah Valley in Virginia. That's the plan anyway. I'm trying to convince Josh to skip Vermont because according to the website, most folks can only hike about 8 miles a day while trying to travel through that part of the trail. We only have a little over 2 months for the trip and I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to setting goals for myself so I'm gonna make it to the Shanendoah Valley if I have to carry Josh, all of our gear, and fight off Black Bears with my bare hands (maybe it wouldn't be that different from Africa).

Now, here's a little about the thinking behind Project Escapade. I could get a nice little field job for the summer and boost my resume up a little bit, make some petty cash, and feel satisfied with life in general. Or, I can camp out for 2 months straight, walk up mountains all day with a 50lb pack on, and get paid jack. Let me simplify that a little more: I could be responsible and work, or I can have fun and play. Tough decision.

Enough of life is about being responsible and working. I'm taking advantage of my freedom from committment, and I'm gonna play.

Change of Subject

Remember how in that last post I talked about how fashion sucked. Well, I hypocritically love Red Carpets. And guess what tonite is?!? The Golden Globes Red Carpet! ...followed by the Golden Globes. How exciting is that?

Look, I already know what a big nerd I am. Go ahead and laugh at me coz I think it's funny too.

6 Comments:

  • At January 15, 2007 at 2:03 PM , Blogger yosh said...

    I'm not into hiking at all, but I always said doing at least part to of the Appalachian Trail would be really cool. Another idea I read about a long time ago is a rafting trip through the entire grand canyon and surrounding areas. Supposedly you raft and camp next to the river for about 10-days. Once again, not a rafter but I think that would be really fun.

     
  • At January 15, 2007 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Nev said...

    yosh,

    yeah, i'm not one of those wannabe enviornmentalist that say shit about the ecosystem that really doesn't make any sense and pretend like i'm saving the earth. so i guess i'm not into hiking in that way. but i do like hikin and i'm decent at it. you should take that rafting trip one day...it'd be a lot of fun.

    and i agree with you about the whole fashion thing--i'm not into guys who worry about what they wear. they kinda freak me out a little.

     
  • At January 15, 2007 at 3:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    50% of all rapes happen on the appalician trail.

    THE MORE YOU KNOW


    TONY

     
  • At January 15, 2007 at 11:31 PM , Blogger Nev said...

    Tony, I guess I'll need a Bodyguard.

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'm still concerned about you walking downhill...it wasn't very pretty the other day.

     
  • At January 17, 2007 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Nev said...

    Josh,

    You know I'm gonna have to carry your pansy ass up that mile-long boulder run. Go chew on some bacon and leave me alone. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home