Georgia Girl

Friday, January 19, 2007

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

Shout out to my be-boppin-boy-BOSS-JA, what!

I BECAME A 'BOB'

Just for a day or so....I filled in as a temp at Jelena's office yesterday and today in the big ATL. I had been in her office once before, but it was just to swing by and pick somethin up. There was something about all the neat little cubicles and quilts hanging on the wall that made me feel highly mischevious. I giggled to myself at the thought of getting a keg delivered around lunch time on friday, tp-ing the ceiling tiles, creating some sort of domino effect and knocking all the cubicles over in a protest against Bobs everywhere, stealing somebodys stapler, and I even thought about callin the girls in the neighboring building and hiring them to get the party started--CHEETAH. But I made my inner monkey chill, and I acted right. That doesn't mean I didn't sit there and giggle on occasion as the evil scheme's ran through my mind.

I'm not sayin that office workers who have cubicles are crazy or stupid or anything like that. I'm just not cut to be one of them. I would seriously be as out of control as a spoiled rotten brat in a candy store. You could walk by my desk and see the glaze of craziness stirring in the evil parts of my soul as the printer, once again, refused to print. I would mumble to myself incoherently and stare blankly at yet another got-to-read-this-forward flashing across my computer screen. And then hopefully I'd get hypnotized and decided that I didn't want to go back, period. And then maybe we could talk about my flare. Or not. You decide.

Seriously, though, Jellybean is up in New York so I didn't have the pleasure of hanging out with her at work. But when I walked in the office, five, count them, five, people were like, "Nevena! Hey!" and I felt really popular. And everyone was really nice and it was fun in the work kinda way.

CHANGE SUBJECT

So I checked my email today--I usually use my forestry email (ie, my school email) so I check that one the most. And some nice fellow had sent an email out to everyone (faculty, staff, all students, and all alumni) informing them about a lecture that's coming up on Climate Change. One of the apparently more republican, world-is-flat, professors responded that the lecture "global warming" (those are his quote marks, not mine) was going to be presented by (to sum up what he really meant...why can't people just say what they mean instead of attempting to cleverly hide it in banter) scientists who weren't even minimally qualified on the subject. What followed was an interesting sequence of responses between him and two other guys who pretty much told him; I found the whole "mine is bigger" argument entertaining.

But it's also sad. Seriously, a hurricane just went through Europe. Anybody ever heard of that before? My aunt is sporting shorts as she chills in Croatia. Um, usually lots of snow there this time of year. I'm not saying that the earth doesn't have normal climate fluctuations and what not. I am saying Columbus didn't fall off the edge of the earth because he had sense enough to recognize that the horizon is a curve, not a straight line. Sometimes what you see really is what you get.

Extremists terrify me. They're ignorant. And that's scary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home